Sunday 31 July 2016

Once in a blue moon.....





A year ago today, there was a blue moon. According to google, this is something that occurs roughly every two to three years. A year ago today, I also found out that I had got the temporary Rovers pitch side job and was being sent to the FA St George's Park for training; I took the photo of the moon when I got home that night. 

It was a strange twist of fate, an opportunity that presented itself, and changed a little bit of my life forever. After I finished working for Rovers, I started helping out at my local non league team, something I never would have had the confidence to do before.  I bloody love non league football - the games in random towns I've never heard of before (today I've been to a cup final in Wadebridge - we won), with raffles for obscure prizes such as steaks and ham, and dogs on the terraces. Where we use horse bandages because it's cheaper than the human equivalent, and the same people volunteer in six different roles so that clubs can run and games get played.  It has amazed me just how much time people are willing to give up for their local club and community and it has genuinely been such a privilege to have been part of it. I still get a buzz going through the "Players and Officials only" gate and wonder just quite how I got here.

A year ago, I never would have thought I would have given up my season ticket on the west enclosure to strap ankles in the South West Peninsula league but I wouldn't change anything.

Below are some of my favourite pictures of the past year, some of the places I've been and the people I've met because of my once in a blue moon chance. Thanks to everyone who has been part of it.











Big thanks to everyone who took these photos - mostly "borrowed" from facebook.

No comments: